- lima beans: 500 gr.
- olive oil: 1 cup
- tomatoes: 5 ripe
- onion: finely chopped
- spinach: tender, cleaned and washed
- garlic: 2 cloves, finely chopped
- parsley: 3-4 tbsp.
- celery: 1 stalk, finely chopped
- salt pepper freshly ground
- sugar: a bit
- Soak the lima beans in water on the previous day. On the next day, drain and boil in water until they are soft. Blanch the spinach for 2-3 minutes, drain and coarsely chop. Heat 2/3 of the oil and sauté the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and coarsely chopped, salt and pepper and the sugar. Cook the sauce for 20 minutes. Add the beans and the herbs (parsley and celery) and let them come to a boil.
- In another pot, heat the remaining oil and sauté the spinach for 4-5 minutes. Put the spinach and the beans in a clay dish. Add salt and pepper, a bit of hot water and stir gently. Cook at 170ο C for 50 minutes until the beans are soft and the sauce thickens slightly.